Friday, February 29, 2008

More ideas...

Since we are expected to have two entries per week, I thought I'd share another concept with you all. This game idea is probably the most deciding factor in what made me want to become a Game Designer.

The game is called The Crystalweb Chronicles. The initial concept for the game came to me while I was dusting my bedroom. I'm terrified of spiders (yet strangely fascinated by them), so I don't do it very often. But I noticed that a tiny colony had set up shop just behind my desk in the corner where two walls met. I sat and looked at it for a while and wondered what it must be like for a spider; to have it's home destroyed every time someone dusts or sweeps, then being forced to rebuild again. Thus the idea for TCC came about.

Story (elevator pitch):

After his city is destroyed, a common house spider called Onyx sets out with a loony mage harvestman known as Pop to find the legendary creator of Cobbleweb City, Crystalweb. But his journey is hampered by Rocky; a desert tarantula and leader of the deadly Red Backs, who is bent on using the city's destruction to his own advantage.

Player:

The player in this single-player RPG takes on the role of Onyx. Tutorial/Gameplay help is provided by nearby NPC's (mainly Pop, who teaches Onyx Aracana, or Spider Magic).

Skills/Abilities:

There are two main combat styles: melee and magical. Melee attacks generally deal non-elemental damage, but are less powerful than magical attacks. Magical attacks (unlike melee attacks, which are available from the start of the game) are acquired throughout 'encounters' or random battles with members/cronies of the Red Back Gang.
Magical attacks can be elemental or non-elemental (arcana, specified arcana). Each spider is assigned an element (Fire, Water, Thunder, Earth), depending on where they are found (e.g. Rocky, a desert tarantula, is an Earth Spider and is therefore weak to water spells, but strong against Thunder). In order to complete the game, the player must master each type of Aracana.

Genre:

The Crystalweb Chronicles is/are (possibility of a sequel?) an adventure RPG. It is aimed at the discerning RPG player who is looking for a more challenging game with a more intriguing and unusual storyline.

This is as much as I have got so far. I have some rough concept art that I will post at a later date.

No comments: