Sunday, June 15, 2008

Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters (another review!)

I finally got my fifth game in the Ratchet and Clank series. Coming off the back of Ratchet: Gladiator, I was expecting to be impressed. I'd loved the arena combat game and the storyline laid lightly atop it. What I found was only very slightly disappointing. But I'm getting ahead of myself. Let's start at the beginning.

Why THIS game?

Those who know Insomniac's reputation of cranking out awesome platforms won't ask this question, but for the uninitiated, I'll expound. The makers of this awesome series, Insomniac Games, are world-renowned for their sharp wit and funny dialogue that punctuates a challenging but enjoyable game that even older players still enjoy. With that in mind, it's also worth remembering that the recent PS3 release Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction was rated as one of the best PS3 releases to date. When taking this into consideration, it's hard to pass by such an acclaimed series. Especially when your protagonists are a small furry creature with a big gun and an undersized robot.

How does it handle?

In my honest opinion, this could handle better. It's obvious that it was shipped straight from the PSP, as the controls were sticky and Ratchet's movements were blocky. Also, a lot of the mini-games ("Clank Challenges") were buggy and I had to restart numerous times. Something for the QA testers, I shouldn't wonder.
That said, the lock-strafe is still included -particularly useful in a firefight with the boss-man- as well as third person mode. The rotating camera also returns and is an excellent addition when you don't want to jump off a clif just before a continue point.

How does it look and sound?

Insomniac's reputation as a leader in imaging and audio is put to the test here. Apart from returning voice actors (including my very favourite, James Arnold Taylor), the music is more of the same. That doesn't mean that it's annoying, quite the opposite. The veteran fan will appreciate it, but those who haven't played a Ratchet and Clank game before might want to check out the earlier offerings as well.

But what about the weaponry?

Ah yes, the reason to play. Big guns. Very. Big. Guns. It's amazing that such a small Lombax can lift something like the R.Y.N.O (which stands for Rip Ya a New One), but he does and we are pleased. The choices this time are confined to a handful of spectacular weaponry. My favourites include the returning Agents of Doom and the new Bee Mine (I had endless fun shouting 'Killer beeee myne!' every time I dropped a hive for my enemy's destructive pleasure). Also returning is the perennial favourite, the R.Y.N.O... although the best version I've seen of this mortar launcher is the RY3NO (which later becomes my second favourite weapon, the Rynocerator... carnage incarnate!).
That said, the weapon levelling systems have changed again, so the veteran fan will be shaking their head sadly at having to reacclimate again to new ways of getting a stronger weapon. So far, the only weapons I haven't maxed out are the Laser Tracer and the Sniper Mine (a cross-bow type weapon good for picking off low-level enemies).

And the story?

... will have you scratching your head a bit. From kidnapped little girls to a Technomite plot to clone Ratchet, most players will wonder why on earth did Insomniac try to be so complicated? We love this series for it's simple premise of blow stuff up, save the day, enjoy the fight along the way. Still, it has promise and the laughability of Captain Qwark never goes astray.

So, is it worth playing?

Oh, totally. Prime example of why companies should stick to what they know and do best but if they want to bring a game back, to rework it to make it acceptable for the fans. Myself, I'd give it an overall rating of 7.5/10. The return of this awesome series was good, if nothing else.

No comments: