Thursday, April 15, 2010

Supanova Brisbane: This McCoy Fangirl's Dream

Every geek who is any geek will know what Supanova is to Australia. It's like Comic-con, only in Oz.

Well, this was my big weekend. This was it. I was finally meeting my idol, my hero and my dream man - Karl Urban. He of the sexy southern doctor persuation and Star Trek inclination who rocked in the movie Doom (based on the classic cult video game).

In short, I will share the story I shared with my friends in STARFLEET (alright, you can all stop laughing now):

I went to Supanova with a friend of mine - Veronica - where said lovely man was signing autographs and having photos taken. We checked out the line for the pavilion to pay for aforementioned photos/autographs and it was nearly a kilometer long. We decided to skip it fora while and have a look around at the other booths in the room.

I should mention that I was in my Starfleet Medical Corps uniform (sans tricorder and communicator) and was moseying around when we spotted Karl stepping out for a break (cue my hyperventilating). He walked past the queue and turned.

He looked right at me.

I looked back at him and did the only thing I could think of - smile and snap off a salute.

He grinned back, pointed at my uniform and said "THAT'S cool!" He then proceded over to me and began plucking at my shirt to see what it was made of.

I was in a state of shock, so Veronica swung into action, asking him if we could have a photo. He smiled at me and said "Sure, I'm not supposed to do this, but oh well!"

He then slid his arm around my lower back and posed kindly for a photo(something I would have had to pay $40 for if I hadn't been in uniform!). He was also gracious enough to answer a question I had about his portrayal of McCoy whilst I was present at his Q&A session.

This awesome story continues on the Sunday, Day Two of Supanova Brisbane...
On this day, I had a portrait with Karl and I done - signed by the man himself! I had to edit it slightly, because he gave me a moustache while signing it, which he apologised for and offered to draw one on himself. He also signed my Star Trek DVD.

Even better, Mr Urban thanked me for the invitation to the Region 11 STARFLEET summit in Adelaide! Whether or not he will agree to come, that I cannot tell. But he said thanks for the invite and - from me - a copy of In Limbo, the short story I won a Starfleet writing award for.

I went into recruiting mode whilst I was there and found two other girls who maybe quite keen to join up, with at least one saying she'd be interested in attending the summit. I got to ask him - at his Q&A - if he would like to see the relationships between Kirk, Spock and McCoy developed further, maybe ala' The Search for Spock. He said yes, from what he's seen of the new script, there will be moments that will better develop the "triumvirate".

We have been told that the Supanova website will probably podcast Karl's Q&A sessions later in the year, which is an opportunity to check out the really interesting questions he was asked and how he answered them.

What can I say about Karl - the man is an utter gentleman; funny, kind and clever with a real dedication to his fans and will go out of his way to make his fans happy. To that end, his queue for autographs and photos was the longest in the room. Just goes to show that he is one very much loved Doctor and they couldn't have picked a better successor to DeForest.

And now... you know I'm a rabid McCoy fangirl... and what I look like... hmm.

2 comments:

Veronica said...

that's a nice pic of you and Mr Urban there, she must be an amazing photographer that friend of yours XD

Lone Wolf said...

Oh totally! She's absolutely AH-MAY-ZING! :) Lolsie!