Thursday, March 6, 2008

Card Crisis! The discovery of in-game hazards (and reflections of week 2)

Something that intrigues me is the use of game cards. A lot of board games use them; Monopoly, Jumanji (yes, there was a version released after the film), Trivial Pursuit, etc. It may be an idea to take this idea and apply it in some way to the assignment.

I haven't reflected on the last lecture or so, therefore I should probably cover what we did in Week 2:

Week two, for me, was all about the HLC (or High Level Concept). This is taking an idea for a game and turning it into a solid concept for a game (once I went through these steps, I went back and modified the post about The Crystalweb Chronicles).
It was most interesting and I got a lot out of it, particularly how to structure my ideas to make them viable game plans.

I have to admit, though, I'm not enjoying the tutorials very much. Marco (my tutor) doesn't seem to be explaining things to us in an easy-to-understand manner. Yes, I understand that I have to work at learning and that nothing is going to be very easy. But he asks silly questions and argues against all of our answers. We're not interesting in what he thinks, he asked us what we think. No amount of arguing his point is going to change the mind of a bunch of game-players who have been gaming since they were very young. Maybe it's a case of we play for a hobby and don't see it as a job yet. Being a little more advanced, Marco may have a different viewpoint.

I still don't like it. But that's my opinion and no offence is meant.

No comments: