Thursday, March 27, 2008

Phantom of the Opera?

Recently, I went to see the latest stage production of Andrew Lloyd Webber's immortal musical The Phantom of the Opera, based on a horror novel by Gaston LeRoux. I found it refreshing and wonderfully performed, in particular stand-out form was Anthony Warlow in his performance as the Phantom. It was on the trip home from this amazing performance that I got to wondering; with all the films and songs written and performed about this book, why hasn't a game been made?

A Phantom game. Unusual, but an exciting thought. Would you play as the Phantom? Perhaps in parts. Maybe, to progress the story, you would have to play as all three of the main characters: The Phantom, Christine and Raoul, Vicomte de Chagny. For example, in the mirror scene, you could play as the Phantom, and rely on stealth to whisk Christine away under your influence before Raoul (just outside the door) notices your presence. Or you could have a section of reaction timers (like the Atlantica level in Kingdom Hearts II) during Christine's performace in Il Muto or Don Juan Triumphant. Perhaps there could also be a combat stage where you play as Raoul fighting the Phantom... no, wait, I don't like that. I can't bear to see my Phantom hurt!

Mmmm, I'm liking this idea. I'd love to get either Michael Crawford (the original stage Phantom) or Anthony Warlow to voice the Phantom. I can see the opening scenes clearly... having the mask fade into view and have the Phantom voice over Welcome to my lair... many years have passed since the fateful events that transpired here and forged my destiny. But I digress... perhaps the only way to tell you my story is to let you live it...

Then the screen would whoosh out to a white screen, where the game begins and Christine would be introduced. Possibly.

It's not a bad idea. Definitely a keeper! But I fear it would only work if the graphics were phenomenal... maybe a square enix game?

Anyway, that's it for now.

No comments: