Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Another game review and reflections

It's been a while since I did any sort of reflections as far as the lectures go. As far as being interesting, my attention has been waning. Same goes for the tutorials. I find myself walking out of lectures and seriously considering not showing up to tutorials because I have better things to do than spend two hours having my opinions rubbished or doodling in my notepad while the lecturer drones on in a monotone over the games she plays with her husband. The only time I think I resurfaced was when the clip from Pokemon was playing.

I miss Penny giving the lecturers. She delivered the information in an interesting manner and I found it easy to comprehend. Because of that, I found it easy to retain the lecture content. Tutorials are still boring me to the teeth. If it wasn't too late in the semester and I had the option, I'd switch out. I often find myself wondering whether Marco actually plays games or just reads about them. You can't really define what it is you get from a game. Here's an example.

I recently got myself a second copy of Kingdom Hearts II, since my first copy was stolen. I restarted it and immediately remembered why I loved it so. The compare/contrast nature of Disney worlds with original characters and those taken from Square Enix's well-known series Final Fantasy give the game it's nostalgic feel. The opening cutscenes give a great abstract look back for those who didn't play the two previous games (yes, two. There was Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories, the second of which was never released in Australia).

The storyline is possibly it's greatest asset. The epic story of Sora's search for his best friend Riku and desperation to return home to Destiny Isle takes him to places where the most iconic of Disney's characters reside.

The final battle sees Riku and Sora reunited and teamed up against a foe that would see Kingdom Hearts (the final resting place for all hearts) destroyed.

The graphics are beautiful and the music is performed by Japan's best-known popstar - Hikaru Utada. She performs two songs over the two PS2 games, Simple and Clean for I and Sanctuary for II. Both are beautifully written and sung as well as fitting the story wonderfully.

Biased as I am, I'd have to give it a 10/10. It never disappoints me.

No comments: