Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Backlash: From the PSP to the PS2 - Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters

I always find it amusing when games attempt a launch on just one console, particularly when the console is very new and often very expensive. Such was the case when the relatively new Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters game was released a few years ago on the PSP. It made me desperately covet one of those little hand-held thingamabobs just so I could play the new game in my favourite series.

A few years later, I still don't own a PSP, yet in a week or so I will own Size Matters. Why? Because the game didn't sell so well. Insomniac's overall return on the game was vastly less than what the rest of the series had drawn in. Thus, since the game was brilliant but releasing it soley on the PSP was a massive faux pas, the nice guys at Insomniac decided to re-release, this time on the PS2 (sorry to all those kiddies who traded in their PS2s for a PS3 which is not backwards compatible).

This is not the first time that releasing games on one console only has proved unpopular. More and more game developers are creating games that can be played on different consoles (the front-runners being the Wii, DS and the XBOX360) in order to maximise profits. One that it particularly relevent to my interests is the release of not one but three versions of Kingdom Hearts III. They will be released on three different consoles (and I believe that there is talk of an online component) with different scenarios in each. The player, to gain the entire story, must play all of the games. In reality, this is going to take some time. The upside to that is that Square Enix has time to find a new director once Tetsuya Nomura leaves the helm of the Kingdom Hearts juggernaut.

That's about it. I just wanted to expound my thoughts about Size Matters, really.

No comments: