Friday, May 2, 2008

Classic Games: Return of the Phantom

Okay, I know I'm a bit obsessed with my Phantom of the Opera. But this game is one of the best known game versions of my favourite story and I thought I'd give it a try.

What a laugh!

The game, made by Micropose in 1993, is the pinnacle of all that is cheesy in the early computer game days. What it lacks in gameplay it makes up in graphical and historical accuracy. The tinny organ music is looped and repetitive, but for those who adore the story behind Phantom, following the storyline through the game is a great source of amusement.

Unfortunately for the Phantom purists, we're forced into the role of Raoul (the Vicomte de Chagny) after being thrown from a fly loft by Erik, the titular Phantom. You then spend the rest of the game hunting him down, only to have him live and come back to try to kill you again!

How this game could have been improved:

PLAY AS THE PHANTOM! I really hate Raoul. He was never a favourite character. He was smarmy and uppity and a lot of other nasty adjectives that I can't add to this assignment. Ugh. Playing as the Phantom would have added much more class and intrigue to the game. After the recent insurgence in interest into the famous book and play, I'd be surprised if this game concept did not come up with some of the bigger game companies.

What this game did well:

The representation of the Opera Populaire. Loved it. The chandelier scene was faithfully represented and the events were quite faithfully followed.

So, what's it worth?

For phans and fans of classic games alike, it rates about a 6.5/10. A lot of the score is for just being Phantom of the Opera. Oh well.

No comments: