Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Game Review: Jazz Jackrabbit

I positively squealed when I saw this on http://www.dosgames.com/. What ho! A game I actually played as a small child (well, I was ten, actually and in England, but that's just the details). So with the nostalgia pumping in my veins, I downloaded it quick-smart and opened it on my wonderful dosbox.

Waaaahooooooeeeeeey!

Just as fabulous as I remembered! But in the great tradition of this blog, I will go through it carefully and under wonderful sub-headings-

Title- Jazz Jackrabbit

Style- Side-scrolling RPG. You play as the titular character, Jazz.

Details - This game was released in May 1994 for the PC by EpicMegagames and was designed by Cliff Bleszinski.

Platform - MSDOS (or Dosbox for those of us who have moved beyond that).

Aim - Jazz must rescue the lovely Princess Eva Earlong from the nefarious Devan Shell and his army of nutters (like usual).

Personal Opinion - Totally in love with it. Really. It's like Sonic for the PC. Of course, the players reactions need to be acclimated to the fast-paced levels and movements of Jazz as he rockets around the levels, shooting things and collecting other... things. But the music is hilarious, the occasional 'yum!' when you grab a carrot is great and the final boss is the most rip-roaring adventure since Sonic sped past us in the nineties.
For a nineties PC game, the graphics are fairly advanced and enjoy the added bonus of the nostalgic comic-book character feel made famous in games like Sly Raccoon. However, it is a classic side-scroller and some more advanced game-players may find it a little boring.

Rating - This is worth at least a 9.5/10. Minimum. I've spoken to a few classmates who all remember the speedy green rabbit with misty eyes and trembling smiles, saying 'I remember playing that. The music was awesome! The gameplay was hilarious good fun and... can I have a copy?'
No need to ask me, guys. Check out the link above and download your own copy. Words of warning though; one, you'll need a dosbox to run it and two... try not to get readdicted. :)
(For those who aren't acquainted with the game, check out wiki's fairly coherent compliation at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jazz_Jackrabbit_(game). It's a place to start if you're looking at the game's history and characters. As Penny would say, don't use it as a reference. It's a starting point.)

No comments: